Sunday, February 28, 2010

You can't call it Frolie...

Children of Men (2006)
Directed by Alfonso Cuarón
Produced by Marc Abraham, Eric Newman, Iain Smith, Hilary Shor, Tony Smith, Thomas Bliss, Armyan Bernstein
Novel by P.D. James
Screenplay by Alfonso Cuarón, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Clive Owen (Uncredited)
Starring Clive Owen, Julianne Moore, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Charlie Hunnam, Clare-Hope Ashitey

Children of Men Trailer

Notes:
  • The image of tough Clive Owen in a business suit while wearing flip flops is pretty cool.
  • I think this is the first time I've seen Michael Caine not helping a super agent or super hero, and instead, helping himself to a little futuristic weeeeeed...
  • They either had an incredible baby actor, or an incredible CG team to make an incredible baby actor. (Although the CG team probably could've spent more time on that ping pong ball.)
  • The actors going in out of cars on the RIGHT hand side kept confusing me. I kept thinking "oh wait, if they're in the passenger seat, who's driving..?"
Things I learned from Children of Men:
  • In the future, doors will be too short for people of Clive Owen's height.
  • Babies are born limp?! Oh that makes sense. Looks creepy. For a split second I thought the girl gave birth to a dead alien.
Recommended to:
  • Those who like the trailer or the concept for the movie.
  • Those who like deep, heavy, and thought-provoking films.
  • Those who read the book?
  • Those who like dystopia stories.
  • Mothers (so they can be thankful of their children?)
Not recommended to:
  • Those looking for something bright and happy.
Conclusion:

I'm a pretty delicious sucker for movies about crazy hypothetical situations. "What if no one could have a baby!?" "Yeah! I'll watch that!" But regardless of my initial bias, this was an excellent movie with a lot of exciting and tense moments, along with great acting and dramatic scenes. There was even a part where I said "oh my god!" out loud, and involuntary exclamatories are most often a good sign.

Coming soon: The Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment